In 1919 Mario Buccellati opened his activity and, after the establishment of stores in Milan, Rome, Florence, began the development of overseas business by opening a new store on the Fifth Avenue of New York in 1954 and another in Worth Avenue of Palm Beach, Florida in 1958. In 1949 Mario Buccellati was commissioned an icon by Pope Pius XII for Princess Margaret to mark the extraordinary event of the first visit of a British Royal to the Vatican City after hundreds of years. This magnificent work of art can be admired at the Chianciano Art Museum in Tuscany. In 1965, after the death of Mario, the management was conducted by four of the five sons. In 1971 was launched the new brand Gianmaria Buccellati by one of the Mario's sons, who started separated business from others brothers, and in 2011 came to an agreement with his relatives for the brand Buccellati then Buccellati Holding Italia reshaping the company.
In December 2016, China's Gansu Gangtai Holding Group bought a controlling 85% share in Buccellati.