René Boivin

The French firm of Boivin, founded in Paris during the 1890s by René Boivin (1864-1917) is considered to have produced some of the most original and finely wrought jewels of the twentieth century. Well known for the impeccable craftsmanship of their pieces, the firm set itself apart by their masterly use of colored stones and by their thoroughly modern and sculptural designs. The most well known and audaciously designed of their jewels were produced during the 1930s and 1940s when the firm was run by René's widow, Jeanne Boivin (1871-1959) and employed the design talents of three remarkable women: Suzanne Vuilereme (later Belperron), Juliette Moutarde and Jeanne's own daughter, Germaine Boivin.
Germaine Boivin joined the firm a few years later in 1938 as a designer and continued to run the firm after her mother's death in 1959. In 1976, she sold the firm to Jacques Bernard, a Boivin designer who had joined the firm in 1964 and who continued to produce pieces within the Boivin tradition. The firm was sold to the Asprey Group in 1991 and some time after the decision was made to close the house of René Boivin.